In a previous blog post, I wrote a script to extract RSS feed URLs from Youtube channel URLs. It seems Youtube has recently updated the URL schema for named channels, channels may now start with a
@symbol and in this case don’t have the
/c/path in the URL anymore. An example for such a URL is
In 2018, I first blogged about the idea to subtitle Croatian TV shows using machine learning. Back then I used a Python program called autosub which splits the audio data and sends it to Google’s public speech recognition engine. It was a cool idea, but the quality was not good enough for me to use in practice.
Sometimes, I’d like to follow Youtube channels, but I don’t want to use the Youtube website for that. Luckily, Youtube offers RSS feeds, they just don’t advertise them publicly (so let’s see for how long they continue to exist…).
I’m currently reading the book sed & awk by Dale Dougherty and Arnold Robbins and already in the third chapter I learnt amazing new features. Like probably many other people up to now I have only used sed for simple one-liner replacement commands using the sed commands
d. Whenever I wanted to achieve something, I had to use a search engine, look up a few answers on stackoverflow and then adjust them. But that’s not the way I want to learn my tools! I want to learn them profoundly.
One reason why I like Linux and its ecosystem is that software is mostly scriptable. If it does not do what I want it to do, there’s usually a way to extend it. While writing this post, I’m going through my collection of photos to select some that I want to print.